Home

Web Preview

Recently, I made the switch (again) away from Uzbl as my main browser. Jumanji is a really nice browser in that it’s as light as Uzbl but feels more polished. It provides almost all of the features I had to build into Uzbl myself right out of the box. The tab-completion on the commands and urls is incredibly useful and negates the need for all the external history and bookmark scripts that I was using with Uzbl. The only part I really miss is (obviously) the controllability and configurability.

I only ever used this controllability for one thing: previewing web pages as I write them. I had a nice little script that would go out and ask each Uzbl instance what its URI was, and if it matched the URI version of the filename I was currently editing it would send the reload command to this browser.

You just cannot do something like this in any other browser.

So I figured, if I relegate Uzbl to this one single simple use, it’s configurability could be leveraged such that I could strip out anything that didn’t serve this one purpose and the browser would be incredibly responsive.

In the end, I’m actually amazed at how well this worked out. During my testing, I actually spent a good ten minutes troubleshooting a nonexistent bug because the page was reloading so fast that I thought nothing was happening.

This works nicely for me because my desktop is my web server. All I have to do is vim /srv/http/pages/foo.html and I’m editing http://localhost/pages/foo.html directly.

I’m not saying it’s impossible to pull this off with a remote server, this just makes things easier. It’s up to you to port my script for use in a remote server setting.

First thing you’ll need is my script, download the raw version into your $PATH.

Adjust the in-script variables srv_dir and srv_url to match your environment. These variables are used to turn a filename like /srv/http/pages/foo.html into a url like http://localhost/pages/foo.html.

Recently the script has changed slightly to work with my new framework; I now just define file_url as a direct modification of $2.

Make sure you’ve got uzbl installed and uzbl-core is also in your $PATH.

Add the following uber simplistic configuration file for uzbl at ~/.config/uzbl/config:

set socket_dir         = /tmp
set status_background  = #303030
set uri_section        = \@[\@uri]\@
set status_format      = <span font_family="Verdana" foreground="#909090">@uri_section</span>
set title_format_short = Uzbl - \@TITLE
set title_format_long  = @title_format_short

This just makes sure a socket is placed in /tmp and makes the status bar a little more pleasing on the eyes.

Only the socket_dir declaration is actually needed for the script to function.

Finally, add the following to your ~/.vimrc:

command! Open :! webpreview --open %
command! Reload :! webpreview --reload %

au BufWritePost /srv/http/pages/* silent Reload

This defines an Open and Reload command to be used directly within vim and also sets up an auto command to fire whenever I hit :w on a page I’m editing.

In your ~/.vimrc you could make these conditional for html and php filetypes and, as you can see, the auto-refresh only happens if I’m editing a file under my server’s pages directory. You’ll want to do something similar so that the script doesn’t run for all files all the time.

That’s all that’s needed. Fire up your favorite text editor and give it a try.

26 Jul 2010, tagged with linux